Wednesday, June 6, 2012

3 Iron, and a Slice Insight

New favorite club: 3 iron. I had an old 8 iron that was the length of a 2 iron, and I wore it out (head separated) from too many swings-- I fell in love with the flight of its shot -lobbed but going 150yds (don't think I'll ever be able to do that with another sort of club)- and it was my favorite club. I still miss hitting it and plan/need to get a custom replacement someday. But last week I went to the range in CO with a 3 iron and was hitting them direct and far-- farther than with that custom 8 iron)-- and it felt great-- such a cool, paper-airplane-like, shooting path.

Also, I had an insight into my slice: for a long while I have been rotating (in my hands) my clubface inward to face me a little bit before each shot, and that has corrected my slice, but I didn't understand exactly why until yesterday: I was in the office and had a 3 iron and for fun was doing a slow-mo swing-- well I noticed that even though the club was rotated in a little before I'd go back into my swing, when it got to the ball it was flush/straight, and this was all due to the rotation of my hips!: If I stand at the ball (at "address" I think they call it) with both feet flat on the ground and then lift the heel of my rear foot and turn my hip/body to face downrange a little (as is done naturally in my downswing), the club naturally rotates out/open a little. ! That's a useful insight. Have a lot more knowledge and control of my clubface now.

Will hit some birdies with an old "Sam Snead" Wilson 3 iron tonight here in AK, and see how it goes. Thinking I might go all irons for a while.... Would be awesome to show up with just an old 2, a custom-8 and a lob wedge and outplay someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment